Carl Byrns

Default OT-California In revolt

On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 01:19:58 GMT, "John T. McCrackhead"
wrote:

Yes I do, you are correct that the will of the people is not as you say
"strictly" involved, again, try to find the politicians willing to throw out
a sitting governer without a public mandate in his favor.

How about a sitting President? Clinton maintained high approval
numbers while in the middle of an impeachment. There was no clear,
public mandate for his removal.

Maybe I wasn't clear enough the first time: an impeachment is a
mechanism that allows the legislature to remove an unfit leader from
office without public approval. Don't forget, when the Founding
Fathers set up our government, there was no instant communications and
if the President commited a 'high crime or misdemeanor', there had to
be away to quickly remove him from office. A recall would have been
impossible.

A recall is a public 'vote of no confidence' - the people have decided
that their elected representative is not acting in their best
interest.

I'm well aware, but thanks for the little civics lesson.

You're welcome. You needed it.

Again, you did not throw out Mecham. His fellow politicians did.

Only a few hundred thousands raised a loud and unignorable (?) voice.

The number was 391,000. Depending on whose voter numbers you believe,
that translates to about 25 percent of the number of Arizona citizens
who voted in the 1986 gubernatorial election. *

That's a lot of voters- not the small group you imply.

His opponents would have gladly kept him around several more years for
entertainment and to pummel at every opportunity.

That's just plain crazy. Mecham was hell-bent on destroying Arizona
and only an idiot would stand by and let it happen.
Then again, only an idiot would have put Mecham in office.

* At the time, Arizona had a population of ~5 million, with about 1 in
5 actually voting.
"The man who has nothing worth dying for has nothing worth living for"- Martin Luther King, Jr.