Posted to rec.woodworking
Greg G.

Default PING: Charles Self

Charles Self said:

I intend to keep much of what I've learned in mind, even if I don't, or
can't, implement it at the moment. Playing with a web site that MAY be the
source of future earnings is fun, but one does have to lean down, grab the
traps and haul the sled of current earnings along, too. Which is what I need
to do for at least 80 hours next week, some of which I'm looking forward to
greatly. Some, well...

Understood. I'm not fully up to speed on the W3 standards myself -
there simply isn't time for one human to digest all the changing
technologies that exist in the computer world. It gives me a
migraine.

A lot of the problem with what shows up on SiteBuilder may be in how I'm
using it, too. I kind of jumped in fast, and I find as I go along, there are
more functions and features than I expected. Not as many as I had hoped, but
still more than I can use at the moment.

That's how you learn. Or how I learn anyway...
Play with it a bit, then read some of the documentation so that you
now know what the hell they are talking about... g
And it's still an excruciatingly dry read...
Then play with it some more. Don't paint yourself into a corner while
trying to stick with one method - but consider your options and be
flexible. JMHO.

I have four--no, five, my old, old, old Mac is buried under boxes in a
basement corner--computers here. That's enough. One is unstable, either a
bad hard drive or power supply, the laptop is a sumbitch with a ****ant
keyboard, and the other two are fine. Maybe my 19" Viewsonic monitor is part
of the problem, though. Bright, accurate, semi-color corrected (colors match
prints).

I use a Viewsonic 2182PS - they call it a 21" but it measures more
like 19.5" diag. Huge freaking thing that eats up 3 square feet of
desk space. But my aging eyes plus multiple concurrent screen
displays make it a necessity. And, yeah, it sure looks pretty... g
I use a KVM switch to select between the four computers that _may_ be
in use at any given time.

But monitors sold for $199 or bundled with systems are notoriously bad
at color correction. Pantone color charts don't quite pan out...
Odd thing is, if they would take the time to provide a color
correction INF with the monitor, some of it could be dealt with in
software. It won't correct for sweep non-linearity and poor RGB
tracking, but you can get the color and luminosity levels a lot closer
than they are out of the box.

Next monitor change will bring a 20" or larger LCD. My wife's machine
(actually, my back-up machine, but let's not tell her) has a 17" LCD that is
wonderful, if not exactly like this one. Durned near as much viewing area as
the 19" CRT, too.

I've never warmed up to LCDs. The originals were horrible, and the
off-angle viewing is poor on all. Other than sweep linearity issues,
I still think CRT's look better than even the new units. Of course,
they weigh a fraction, and have a much smaller footprint.
Everything's a compromise, eh?

FWIW,

Greg G.