Posted to rec.woodworking
Charles Self

Default PING: Charles Self

"Greg G." wrote in message
Charles Self said:

Greg G. said:

Welcome to the wonderful (NOT) world of HTML and cross browser
incompatibilities... ;-)

Good Luck with whatever you decide to do... Sorry I butted in.

Suggestions always welcome. Which doesn't mean they're always taken, of
course.

Checked Amazon: Dreamweaver is $399. Ouch. That would almost buy the new
lens I want (almost, minus $399--the lens is about $799).

And here is the _really_ sad part - in 10 years, that lens will still
be worth near that much or more - the software will be valueless.

I don't blame you a bit for not wanting spend that much money on
software for a single site. They all ultimately generate HTML code in
the end. But do keep my suggestions about fonts, style sheets, and
absolute positioned layers (DIVs) in mind - with whatever software you
chose.

I am, at this moment, sitting amidst a crop of computers, including
Win9x, Win2000, XP and Server, plus a couple of Linux boxes - simply
for compatibility testing... No one said it was an easy job... ;-)

I intend to keep much of what I've learned in mind, even if I don't, or
can't, implement it at the moment. Playing with a web site that MAY be the
source of future earnings is fun, but one does have to lean down, grab the
traps and haul the sled of current earnings along, too. Which is what I need
to do for at least 80 hours next week, some of which I'm looking forward to
greatly. Some, well...

A lot of the problem with what shows up on SiteBuilder may be in how I'm
using it, too. I kind of jumped in fast, and I find as I go along, there are
more functions and features than I expected. Not as many as I had hoped, but
still more than I can use at the moment.

I have four--no, five, my old, old, old Mac is buried under boxes in a
basement corner--computers here. That's enough. One is unstable, either a
bad hard drive or power supply, the laptop is a sumbitch with a ****ant
keyboard, and the other two are fine. Maybe my 19" Viewsonic monitor is part
of the problem, though. Bright, accurate, semi-color corrected (colors match
prints).

Next monitor change will bring a 20" or larger LCD. My wife's machine
(actually, my back-up machine, but let's not tell her) has a 17" LCD that is
wonderful, if not exactly like this one. Durned near as much viewing area as
the 19" CRT, too.