Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

Default high level cold water tank in loft

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On Sun, 4 Dec 2005 18:01:55 -0000, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 4 Dec 2005 16:46:39 -0000, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

"NikV" wrote in message
Hi
I've got to gain space in our small bedroom so I want to put the hot

water
tank in the loft, how high above the top of the hot water tank

should
the
water surface of the cold water tank be. Has anybody got any links

sites
with cold water tanks which will fit high up in the ridge - I've

googled
but
can't find anything.
Any advice welcome - ps can't afford to change from the current open
vented
system ATM

Have the kitchen tap off the mains. For the
hot and cold water for the rest of the house
use one of these, as it fits nicely in the loft.
http://www.rcmgroup.co.uk/specialize...ower/index.htm
You can take the shower off it The cold
taps can be taken off it and the
hot taps too giving good mixing at the
basins and bath. It is heated from a
normal system boiler.

Are you certain about that?

Yep.

There are no mention of boiler connections and none are shown....

An indirect version can be specified, with either Part L or quick

recovery
coil.

Not mentioned on their web site that I could see. Do you have a
reference for that and the price?

Contact them. Price? A long time ago but it was cheaper than a Megaflow.
The combi was the same price as a system boiler. The water section of the
combi just replaced a noisy space taking power shower pump, and saved money
again, giving a higher pressure shower.

This one obviously is though...

http://www.rcmgroup.co.uk/specialize...mpak/index.htm

Far more bulky than a cylinder 6 less than foot high.

That is rather overstating it.

No. Just look at the sizes. It is a cylinder that is les that 6 foot high
and quite slim too.

The combi/shower is 1900mm high vs. the 2050mm of the formpak

The formpack is bulky that is clear. Look at the picture of both next to
each other. The combi/shower is also heavily insulated all over and looks
far neater than a frame with a rank and cylinder.

The footprint is larger at 800x600 than the 500mm of the combi/shower,
but it would be surprising if that were an issue in an attic able to
accommodate the height since way more than this floor area would be
implied.

The combi/shower is easy to fit. No assembling.

All of which is somewhat academic since the question really suggested
a coffin tank as the solution, since this will have the least cost.

You don't know if that is the solution at all. The great thing about the
combi/shower is that is can be fitted and when the boiler goes, a combi is
bought for the shower.