Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Anderton

Default high level cold water tank in loft

On Sun, 4 Dec 2005 18:04:20 -0000, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

"John Anderton" wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 4 Dec 2005 16:20:52 -0000, "NikV"
wrote:

Hi
I've got to gain space in our small bedroom so I want to put the hot

water
tank in the loft, how high above the top of the hot water tank should the
water surface of the cold water tank be. Has anybody got any links to

sites
with cold water tanks which will fit high up in the ridge - I've googled

but
can't find anything.
Any advice welcome - ps can't afford to change from the current open

vented
system ATM

Try a google for "coffin" tanks. They are shaped as you'd expect with
a name like that. I've got one as there wasn't room for a conventional
tank.

The surface of the water in my cold tank is about four feet above the
top of the hot water tank but I don't know what the minimum is, just
that it is presumably less than this.

In fact, other than it being positive is there any minimum value and,
if so, why ?

What he needs is a combi cylinder.

Why ? What advantage would that give him over a standard hot water
cylinder and a coffin tank both placed in the loft ?

I gave the link.

To something that may well be very useful when living somewhere with
no loft but may not be best for the OP especially when it's likely to
be more expensive (assuming the existing hot cylinder can be re-used)

Cheers,

John