Tim Marciniak

Default Need Advice for Fabricating Engine Support Bridge

I am trying to design and fabricate an Engine Support Bridge. For those
not familiar this would be similar in function to a hoist but it is a
framework that would fit over the engine (in a car or truck) and be
supported at two points on the cars inner fender lip that meets the hood.
Basically this would consist of a horzontal bar about 48 inch long
supported at two end points about 12 inch above the engine. This is a
rough idea of what it should look like. I will hang chain from the
horizontal piece.

===================================
x x
x x
x x

I want to know what type of steel and form I should use. It has to be
weldable (I have access to gas welding). The frame should be capable of
supporting 350 to 500 lbs. I am thinking something tubular but since I
dont have any depth of knowledge on whats available I thought i would
ask.

thanks

Tim