Posted to alt.home.repair
Stormin Mormon

Default buying new 3.5 ton a/c

When they did away with R-12 in 1993, there was a supply around for a couple
years. People stocked up, and then there was reclaimed gas. And then the
substitutes came out.

Not a serious issue.

If you get a Puron unit, it will probably require new lines and evaporator.
Don't know for certain, I've never worked with puron. But I do know that
puron has different pressures. Probably also different flow rates and such.

--

Christopher A. Young
Do good work.

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi, CBHVAC,
We live in south Florida, where high humidity is a daily occurrence.
The old unit is Ruud Achiever 12, 3.5 ton, which is leaking
refrigerant, aka R22.
The quote for the new 3.5 ton 13 SEER Rheem says, "connected to
existing refrigerant and electrical lines". So, I assume the new one
will use R22, too.
Isn't R22 being phased out and gone after 2010? What'll happen in
2011, when we run low on refrigerant?
BoJo