Posted to alt.home.repair
Stormin Mormon

Default buying new 3.5 ton a/c

1- SEER is kinda low. Wouldn't a 14 or higher SEER be better?
CY: Higher efficiency costs more up front. But can cost less in the long
run. Did you ask if they had more efficient models to choose?

2-I don't know if this is a scroll or reciprocating compressor. I've
read on-line that scroll is better. Is this correct?
CY: Scrolls tend to be quieter, and more energy efficient. The other thing
you can do for more efficiency is to use a TXV instead of an orifice (or
"piston") for the evaporator. Ask your HVAC company about that.

3-I don't know of the motor is one or two speed. Two would be more
efficient, right?
CY: As I understand, the two speed allows the outdoor fan to run slower when
there is less demand for air flow.

4-I am of the opinion that this unit would use Freon. Wouldn't a
Puron-using unit be better in the long run?
CY: Puron is fairly new technology. It also has problems with absorbing
moisture from the air. If it were my house, I would choose the proven R-22.
It will be available for a couple years after the phase out, as many guys
will stock up.

Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated.
CY: Ask if the company's techs have haircuts, and if they wear earrings (for
men this is a concern). Avoid companies whose techs have long hair (for men)
or earrings. Also avoid companies where they use a lot of crude language, or
where they try to pressure you into making a rapid decision. Might also want
to ask if the techs they use are legal citizens of the country of residence,
and if all the techs have EPA cards. Also ask if the techs have green
cards -- avoid companies who use techs with green cards.

BoJo