Posted to alt.home.repair
Wes Stewart

Default buying new 3.5 ton a/c

On 3 Dec 2005 18:50:52 -0800, "
wrote:

Hi, m Ransley,
I checked out the Trane web site, but didn't find the page you referred
to (a seer sheet showing seer increase and $ saved), but I found some
phone numbers for local dealers, so on Monday I'll call and ask for a
bid.

Apparently one should be real careful with the Trane site. I just
nosed around there and found the following:

I used the "customizer" and it spit out data for three packaged heat
pump units: XE1200, XL1200 and XL1400. (I would think it would try
giving me a XL1600 option too, but I digress)

The HSPF for these are given as: 12.8, 13.75 and 15.6 respectively.
The SEER a 12, 12.5 and 14.4. Yet when I look up the data for
these, for example:

http://www.trane.com/Residential/Pro...HP_XL1400.aspx

I see something like "14.00 SEER Range with up to 7.95 HSPF" for the
XL1400.

Then when I used the "comparison" feature, the XL1400 SEER is given as
"up to 13.75."

So the SEER seems to between 0 and 14.4 and the HSPF is between 7.95
and 15.6.