Posted to alt.home.repair
CBHVAC

Default buying new 3.5 ton a/c

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi, CBHVAC,
We live in south Florida, where high humidity is a daily occurrence.
The old unit is Ruud Achiever 12, 3.5 ton, which is leaking
refrigerant, aka R22.
The quote for the new 3.5 ton 13 SEER Rheem says, "connected to
existing refrigerant and electrical lines". So, I assume the new one
will use R22, too.

Never assume...ASK.
If they are using R410a (Puron) and reusing your old lines, they are
screwing you.

Isn't R22 being phased out and gone after 2010?

The phase out started this year.

What'll happen in
2011, when we run low on refrigerant?

Wont happen..how much R12 you want? It was gone years ago, yet I can still
go order a pallet of it if I want.

2025 is the magic year, and THEN you might have to worry...but its
doubtful..and even then...given that the life expectancy of your unit is
12-15 years, depending on your area, you still have time to use the proven
cheaper refrigerant.
Dont get me wrong...I am certified in R410a, and given the right install,
its fine. The units look alike, but they are totally different animals. You
get some putz that has no clue about the stuff, and the most expensive Puron
unit will suck.

Big suggestion here, and you will see me talk about it alot over the next
few months...if you DO go with a 13+ unit, INSIST that the installing
contractor do a manual D and PROVE to you that the existing duct will work
100% with it...Sometimes it will, more often it wont.
Higher SEER units require more airflow. Some of the 14SEER units 2.5 tons
and up take a 5 ton capacity air handler...thats ALOT more air to cram down
the ducts that were originally sized for a lower SEER unit with less air
flow.
Expect it to run longer...thats ok...longer run times wont equate to higher
bills if its sized right. You are in a high humidity area, and higher SEER
units have to be installed right to control that...and that will result
normally, not always, but normally in a system that when its put in right,
(system, meaning, both units, and duct...the duct system is part of the
entire system ) they will tend to run longer, and believe it or not, with
the fewer stops and start, it will last a bit longer too.
Another hint...unless you trust the installer 150%, get another couple of
quotes. You might have to pay for them, since a couple of hours of time will
be used running the numbers to make sure you are getttng what you pay for,
but in the long run, its the cheapest way to go.

BoJo