Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour

Default How to prevent exposure to elements?

wrote:
I have begun to repair the rotted wood on sills, etc. before getting
replacement windows. At present, I have large gaps waiting to be
filled or repaired. I live in the north east. The cold air outside
creates condensation which accumulates at the inside corner window and
travels outward to the gaping hole where I had just scraped out rotted
wood. I have been advised not to fill and prime until the weather is
warmer. Is there a way to prevent these newly scraped gaps from
exposure to cold and rain and to prevent condensation collecting until
I have the windows replaced? (could be a few months) If not, moisture
which will surely add to my rot problem. Will I have to start the sill
repairs over again?

I would have to see a picture of the situation to tell for sure, but
why don't you fill the gaps with something that doesn't mind a little
moisture? Polyurethane glues, such as Gorilla Glue need moisture to
cure. If the rotted section is more than just surface scrapings, cut
back to good wood and glue in the patch. You're supposed to spritz a
little water on one surface before gluing pieces together. As an added
bonus the stuff foams up and expands to fill gaps. Depending on what
you have to fill, it might be enough by itself. Let it expand and cut
it back to where you want it.