Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to prevent exposure to elements?

I have begun to repair the rotted wood on sills, etc. before getting
replacement windows. At present, I have large gaps waiting to be
filled or repaired. I live in the north east. The cold air outside
creates condensation which accumulates at the inside corner window and
travels outward to the gaping hole where I had just scraped out rotted
wood. I have been advised not to fill and prime until the weather is
warmer. Is there a way to prevent these newly scraped gaps from
exposure to cold and rain and to prevent condensation collecting until
I have the windows replaced? (could be a few months) If not, moisture
which will surely add to my rot problem. Will I have to start the sill
repairs over again?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank

I've cut out several exterior sills and just replaced with cut to fit
pressure treated wood, caulked and painted.
Usually when wood is rotted, it is rotted throughout.
I'm not replacing windows. These sill repairs are permanent.

Posted to alt.home.repair
cm

Post tension will only minmize cracking and other problems. I have a freind
with a post tension house and mine is not. His house is built on the same
farm land as mine. He has had much more drywall cracking and door movement
than mine. You are better off fixing the drywall and adjusting the doors.

Criag

www.vintagetrailersforsale.com

ups.com...

OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
protecting wood/plywood from elements Old Nick Metalworking 3 December 11th 04 08:01 AM
protecting wood/plywood from elements SteveF Metalworking 2 December 11th 04 05:29 AM
Supplier for heating elements for old GE stove Sam Goldwasser Electronics Repair 4 October 27th 04 11:55 PM
Moisture Cure Urethane (Moisture Cured Urethane) Moshe Woodworking 6 September 5th 03 05:50 PM