Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
MetalHead

Default Oh $#!@. I think I got screwed on eBay again.

Christopher Tidy wrote:
The magnet still seems weak. Although it isn't really weak, I wouldn't
have great confidence using the machine for vertical or overhead work. I
arranged a test to give me some idea of the magnet's holding strength. I
attached it to a piece of 1" thick steel, with the magnetic base
vertical and the drill body just above the ground, and stacked some
weights on the side. Then I took moments to figure out the holding
strength. It is about 1/4 to 1/3 the 1740 lb quoted on the Hougen
website for a 1" thick plate. I think there could be a problem here, but
I'm not absolutely sure. What do people think?

I had a response from the seller this morning. He said he had the drill
tested for him using an appropriate transformer. I didn't mention
transformers in my e-mail to him. He seemed puzzled but not indignant. I
will tell him what I discovered today.

Is there any chance that the transformer that you are using is not up to
the job? That would explain a weak magnet. Can you run the motor without
the magnet energised? I have seen lots of odd things happen with
machinery on under-rated power supplies.

Bob