Posted to rec.woodworking
George

Default Cost of Wood and Charges per Board Foot

"Bob G." wrote in message
I still remember my first check
from the US Army... $18.46 cents...NET ...and 16 bucks of that was
traveling pay from Ft Bragg to Walter Reed... That check I really
should have not cashed ..I should have had it framed and hung it on my
wall...

Remember the jump when I sewed on E-3. I was then making $ 22 per
fortnightly payday. Felt so good about it that I went out and got
married....

My first job in High School was at a burger joint... we sold them fro
15 cents each..or 7 for a dollar... My 1951 V8 Hot Rod drank gas that
cost me 19 cents a gallon... and ran on "May Pop" brand tires ..like
one just may pop... at any time...I think I averaged 2-3 flat tires a
week...

Stockboy at 0.50 / hour, but you could get a gallon for between 11 and 17
cents, _and_ a set of glasses for a fill up. The MGA cost me 1500 at three
years old.

Now back to the original posters comments... I have no idea if I can
afford to continue buying wood... Before I retired I stock piled a
lifetime supply of Walnut, Cherry and Poplar...(what A laugh...I must
have died a few years ago because it only took about 5 years before I
had to float a loan to buy a small supply to make my Daughters dinning
room set...(Table & Hutch,...no darn chairs...) ..

My daughter married a guy whose family had a few forties of timber, so when
we made the cabinets for his NASCAR memorabilia, he supplied his own black
ash. Same for all the replacement oak moldings - red oak from the "camp."
The bed will be in cherry, but I'll have to supply anything over 4/4,
because that's all they have in the barn.

Since I mostly turn firewood, my flat stock should hold out a few more
years.