Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Loren

Default Making a shaft with a collar... question

You should be aware that those ratings are for radial
loads. Mounted ball bearings (flange & pillow blocks, etc)
are generally not recommended for axial (thrust) loads, and
the axial load rating for mounted roller bearings is
substantially less than the radial rating.

Thanks Ned. Yes.. the dynamic load capacity is in reference to a radial
load. I understand the difference.

How are you sharing the load? It's quite difficult to do
this reliably for bearings on a single shaft.

This is a roll bender. it has 3 shafts.. the force from the tension
screw is applied to all 3 shafts thus dividing the load.
The only thrust load will be between the threaded end and the collar as
the material in the roller deforms.

It would be easier to be helpful if you were to give more
information on what you're trying to accomplish.

Ned Simmons

Loren wrote:
snip
. it's for a powered tubing roller and these are for the drive shafts.

so.. the question is.. do you think that combining ball bearings and
bronze bearings will help each other enough to be worth the effort?

I'm only concerned about whether or not the ball bearings will hold up
because I have no convenient method for press fitting a roller bearing.
I have a drill press and a ****ty lathe and its easier to drill and tap
holes to attach flange bearings to a plate.

Also.. will knurling a shaft improve the grab of a collar?

- Loren