Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner Asch

Default Are you using a VFD?

On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 23:12:19 -0600, "Mike Henry"
wrote:

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
.. .
On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 08:41:15 -0600, "Mike Henry"
wrote:

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 20:48:34 -0600, "Mike Henry"
wrote:

The only minor problem was with the Hitachi because the original were
momentary push buttons for start and stop. The Hitachi L-100 lacks the
built-in logic to use this setup directly as it expects a sustained "on"
contact closure. A tech note from Hitachi provided wiring for a small
control relay and diode, which fixed that problem for around $15 at
Radio
Shack. I think that this is referred to as "3-wire control" and has the
benfit that a power outage will shut down the motor until power is back
up
*and* the start button is depressed again. The drum switches on the
lathe
and mill will power either back up when power comes back on unless I
manually turn the switches to off.

Mike

Does your Hitachi make the motor "sing"?

I have one ..about a 2hp..cant recall the model number at the moment
that Id originally put on my drill press, and it made the motor
"sing"....very high note, right at the edge of my (very bad) hearing
range. Almost a hydraulic or servo sound....

I didnt like using it on the drill press, as it required coming to a
full stop before it would allow you to reverse directions, so I stuck
on the old Horizon, saving the Hitachi for another future project.

Not so that I've ever noticed, though that could be my hearing. I test
pretty well, but others are bothered by high frequency noise that I don't
seem to hear as much. Did you try changing the carrier frequency?

Mike

Mine is pretty old, though NOS and there is little that can be
changed..no programming keypad etc etc. I think its a 1994 model

Well, that kind of sucks. Have you had a look through the manual to see if
there was an optional keypad (as DoN suggested) or maybe a way to set
parameters through a cable to a PC or laptop with custom software. Another
possibility is that some of the VFD controls serve a double function and
allow parameter programming via a funky sequence. You've probably already
thought of that, though.

Mike

Ayup....G I work with VFDs daily. This older unit is pretty bare
bones.

Gunner, Owner, Coyote Engineering. Machine Tool service and repair

for torturing the cat." Gunner