Desert Traveler

Default Any input on Miller welders?

"mrbonaparte" wrote in message
news:24KTa.24015$Ne.12712@fed1read03...
What kind of answers did you get for the plasma torch? I've been looking

at
Hobart as well. Thanks

The odds on favorite is the HyperTherm. This is based on reliability,
service, spare parts, consumables and performance. I like the 380. This
will do up to 3/8" steel, but is really rated for anything less than that.

One caveat: if you need to do larger stuff, you are going to get into two
new areas. One is that a lot of those require 50 amps or MORE, and they
will require a much larger compressor. So, if you are only going to do
small stuff, it might be better, and more economical, to buy an additional
oxy/acet rig for the thick stuff. You can get a Victor for about $250 used.
Sometimes less. Be sure to check your electrical service so you don't find
out you have to run 220 out there at a cost of $$$$$. You can always use
multiple smaller tanks on a small compressor. BE SURE TO SET UP BLEEDERS
AND WATER TRAPS, AS MOISTURE CUTS DOWN COMSUMABLES LIFE BY UP TO 75%. That
is straight from the factory reps.

I am a Lincoln fan. I grew up with them, and that was all we used in the
oil patch. Millers have improved, and I have had a couple of Millers that
were outstanding. I was hesitant about buying anything but a Lincoln, but
after talking to the guys at the welding group, I found out that the
HyperTherm was the way to go. I thought it was a cheapo knockoff Harbor
Freight type of deal at first. But upon more investigation found it to be
the way to go.

I have just returned from LA where I have firmed up some areas on my
business plan. I have been researching equipment for about six months now,
and have arrived at these choices for my application:

Lincoln 175 Squarewave Tig
Hypertherm 380 Plasma Cutter
Victor Journeyman Torch Set
Bender
Horizontal Band Saw
1/2" Drillpress
Hydraulic Bender and Press

I already have a Lincoln 175+ wirefeed, chop saw, grinders, etc. I will be
making custom wrought iron kitchen stuff for architechts and interior
designers. I will also be decorating my two houses with a proliferation of
various ornamental metal, awning, structural, and water features. Plus all
the trailer modifications and ATV stuff.

Do yer homework before you buy, particularly on big ticket items. Buy
quality ......... it lasts. And hang out at the sci.engr.joining.welding
newsgroup for a while and just read. Lots of really good info there, and
helpful people. Surprisingly few grumps and trolls, as compared to some
newsgroups. You can get some good and quick advice there.

Steve

PS: Never liked Hobart. Some people swear by them, but the majority of
Hobart machines I have ever seen in my 30 years of welding were sitting in a
corner, full of dust, waiting on missing parts, and had some sad tale of woe
that went with them.

It has been a source of discussion at sci.engr.joining.welding over the

past
few weeks.

And there is currently a discussion of a question I put there about

which
plasma torch to buy. Lincoln and Miller run third and fourth in that
discussion. I am a Lincoln fan, and like Miller, but would buy neither

of
their plasma torches.

Steve