Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
F. George McDuffee

Default Beginner's Lathe Projects

Before I dismissed the lathe/mill I would consider what the
machine tools were like in 1890-1900 and what people were able to
accomplish with them.

You won't be able to take big cuts, but unless you are in a
production environment and trying to meet a quota, you don't need
to.

Uncle George

On 2 Dec 2005 09:56:57 -0800, "fatpie"
wrote:

Yeah, I know you know what you're talking about, but I can't change it
now, even if I wanted to. It was bought second hand off ebay anyway,
so it's not such a huge loss if we sell it. I'll see how it goes with
this lathe, and maybe in a while, when I have a budget of my own, I can
buy a new one or put some money in that direction.

My dad drove a huge way across the country to get this (because it was
bought off ebay) and also a huge amount of effort getting it up the
stairs into our outbuilding, it'd be a bit ungrateful not to do
anything with it.

Thanks for the advice though.