Posted to alt.home.repair
Matt

Default Location of defrost heater in fridge/freezer

Appliance Repair Aid wrote:
G'day,

Can I get an estimate of the power usage of this old box?

When I started doing serive in 1980 the average compressor in a
refrigerator would draw approx 3 - 3.5 amps. Ones today draw 1 or less
than 1 amp. That should mean the refrigerator will be using 2-3 times
the amount of hydro than a new one would. Probaby $50-100 a year more
in hydro.

Does that comparison assume that the new and old units are the same
size? The new freezer would be only 5 to 7 cubic feet vs. 17 cu. ft.
for the old side-by-side. I am supposing that the new one would use
less power than the old one due to being smaller. But I suppose a
freezer would use more power per cubic foot than a fridge/freezer of the
same size.

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/