Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Dave W

Default Drying roughed bowls

I have had real good luck so far with the dishwashing soap method on side
grain bowls. I have not lost any
yet. I have soaked overnight and finished the next day and I have soaked and
allowed a week of drying
before finishing. I must say I have had poor luck with using the same method
on end grain. I have not tried
yet to completely finish end grain stuff the next day. I have only tried 3
end grain (with pith left in) and
allowed to dry for several days. All 3 cracked beyond use.

I do use the anchorseal method also. I have heard that a good coating of wax
on the end grain will
work just as well. You might want to give that a try.

Dave

"Alun" wrote in message
Sniperborg wrote:

After a previous post about sealing the outside of my bowl with pva glue
( no anchorseal in the uk ) i'm still getting about a quarter
with small to very bad splits.

As many people told you when you first asked, including myself, Chestnut
in the UK do an end sealer available in 5 litre containers.

--
Alun Saunders