Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Newbie Question - Getting sawdust off/out of the wood

wrote:
I had asked this in the long thread I had going but decided to pull it
out of there into this subject specific post.

In the other thread, someone had warned me against using tackcloth and
had advised me to make my own using old shellac. I responded with:

So, if tackcloths are out and I don't want to make my own as you
describe, what about wiping off the wood with mineral spirits, thinner,
or alcohol? Do these raise the grain and require light resanding after
use as water does? I don't like the idea of having to sand again AFTER
wiping sawdust off with water -- it seems like an endless cycle --
water -- sand -- water -- sand...

My projects are small, so I just use a shop vac with a soft brush. I
only tried tack cloth once a few years back and maybe it was just the
brand that I got but it was loaded with gunk that came right off on the
wood (do you use tack cloth right after you open it or is it supposed
to be exposed to air for a while? )