Posted to alt.home.repair
George E. Cawthon

Default very confused-- Bleach vs. Mold

Way to confuse the issue, but may serves a
purpose. Lot of things will lighten colors but
they are not called bleach The only kind of
bleach that is used to kill microorganisms is
chlorine bleach. Just to confuse the issue, lots
of other things including alcohol and other
substances, e.g. betadine, are used to kill
microorganism but they aren't bleaches.
Until only the past few years, laundry bleach or
justs bleach commonly meant a solution of sodium
hypochorite.

nospambob wrote:
Bleaches, more than one, are suggested in woodworking forums for
question/answer dialogues. Oxalic acid bleaches out the black stain
when iron residue meets the tannins in oak and other woods, household
bleach is suggested for minor bleaching to obtain a lighter tone of
raw wood and swimming pool bleach is suggested for a more dramatic
change in raw wood. Right tool for the right job.

On Thu, 01 Dec 2005 10:23:13 -0500, mm
wrote:

I suspect I'm overly influenced into thinking chlorine is important
because of the common term "chlorine bleach", but why is there more
than one kind now and does either one have any advantages over
another?