Posted to rec.woodworking
nospambob

Default Newbie Question - Getting sawdust off/out of the wood

Converting to waterbased finishes has raised a whole bunch of issues.
I was raised with oil based stuff and was happier than I was when
waterbased shtuff first came to California. People have reported
contamination from tack cloths, presumed by me to mean WB finishes
instead of oil based. My suggestion was based on what I believe to be
a Jeff Jewitt suggestion for possible win-win use of expired shellac.
Avoid off the shelf tack cloth and avoid dumping expired shellac down
the drain. Makers of finishes have made GREAT leaps in their finishes
and oil based shtuff is out of my inventory. I don't use waxy shellac
as dewaxed is more universal as an undercoat and anything can be used
on top. Furthermore this is Thursday.

On Thu, 01 Dec 2005 16:21:25 GMT, "Leon"
wrote:

wrote in message
roups.com...
I had asked this in the long thread I had going but decided to pull it
out of there into this subject specific post.

In the other thread, someone had warned me against using tackcloth and
had advised me to make my own using old shellac. I responded with:

I see no reason to avoid a tackcloth. I have never had a problem with it in
the last 25 years.