Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Andrew Mawson

Default phase converter question

"Grant Erwin" wrote in message
I have a phase converter with a 7.5hp idler. I never envisioned

having to run a
7.5hp load, but now I want to try it. This is a question for either

someone
who's done it or for one of the pointyheads who abound on this NG.

If I were to
first start my phase converter, THEN start e.g. a 3hp motor with no

load, can I
then run a 7.5hp load motor fully? My thinking is that the 3hp motor

would act
as an "idler booster". In this way my phase converter (I'm hoping)

can be made
to act as though it had a 10hp idler.

Grant Erwin
Kirkland, Washington

I used to have a static phase converter, and to start my lathe in top
speed I did exactly what you are proposing, and first started an
unloaded motor on my cylindrical grinder. However I did had the
luxuary of switchable capacitors to balance it.

I use a rotary now which has auto switching so far less hassle !

AWEM