Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Grant Erwin

Default phase converter question

I have a phase converter with a 7.5hp idler. I never envisioned having to run a
7.5hp load, but now I want to try it. This is a question for either someone
who's done it or for one of the pointyheads who abound on this NG. If I were to
first start my phase converter, THEN start e.g. a 3hp motor with no load, can I
then run a 7.5hp load motor fully? My thinking is that the 3hp motor would act
as an "idler booster". In this way my phase converter (I'm hoping) can be made
to act as though it had a 10hp idler.

Grant Erwin
Kirkland, Washington
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Andrew Mawson

"Grant Erwin" wrote in message
I have a phase converter with a 7.5hp idler. I never envisioned

having to run a
7.5hp load, but now I want to try it. This is a question for either

someone
who's done it or for one of the pointyheads who abound on this NG.

If I were to
first start my phase converter, THEN start e.g. a 3hp motor with no

load, can I
then run a 7.5hp load motor fully? My thinking is that the 3hp motor

would act
as an "idler booster". In this way my phase converter (I'm hoping)

can be made
to act as though it had a 10hp idler.

Grant Erwin
Kirkland, Washington

I used to have a static phase converter, and to start my lathe in top
speed I did exactly what you are proposing, and first started an
unloaded motor on my cylindrical grinder. However I did had the
luxuary of switchable capacitors to balance it.

I use a rotary now which has auto switching so far less hassle !

AWEM

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jim rozen

In article , Grant Erwin says...

I have a phase converter with a 7.5hp idler. I never envisioned having to run a
7.5hp load, but now I want to try it. This is a question for either someone
who's done it or for one of the pointyheads who abound on this NG. If I were to
first start my phase converter, THEN start e.g. a 3hp motor with no load, can I
then run a 7.5hp load motor fully? My thinking is that the 3hp motor would act
as an "idler booster". In this way my phase converter (I'm hoping) can be made
to act as though it had a 10hp idler.

Short answer, yes.

If properly tuned it might start it without the extra three in there.
This sort of depends on what kind of load you have.

Jim

please reply to:
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Grant Erwin

jim rozen wrote:
In article , Grant Erwin says...

I have a phase converter with a 7.5hp idler. I never envisioned having to run a
7.5hp load, but now I want to try it. This is a question for either someone
who's done it or for one of the pointyheads who abound on this NG. If I were to
first start my phase converter, THEN start e.g. a 3hp motor with no load, can I
then run a 7.5hp load motor fully? My thinking is that the 3hp motor would act
as an "idler booster". In this way my phase converter (I'm hoping) can be made
to act as though it had a 10hp idler.

Short answer, yes.

If properly tuned it might start it without the extra three in there.
This sort of depends on what kind of load you have.

I'm pretty sure I can *start* the thing (big abrasive cutoff saw) but what I
want to do is to source enough current so I can run the saw fully. I always
thought you could run one size down e.g. if you have a 7.5hp idler you can run a
5hp motor fully.

I am considering adding some run caps to the idler booster unit, so when I
switch the unit off they will be out of the circuit. Only when the idler booster
is running would the extra run caps be apparent.

GWE
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Eric R Snow

On Thu, 01 Dec 2005 14:46:57 -0800, Grant Erwin
wrote:

jim rozen wrote:
In article , Grant Erwin says...

[...]

Grant,
I have a phase converter which uses a 15 hp idler motor. I can run 60
hp with it. The largest load I have run on it at one time was 32 hp.
Two of the lathes connected have 10 hp DC spindles and so contribute
nothing to the system like they would if they were induction motors.
The manufacturer said that I can start 15 hp with it. I also have a
7.5 idler motor hp unit made by Eyelander up in Everett. I could start
the 10 hp CNC lathe by using the soft start in the DC spindle drive.
After the spindle was up to speed I could run the lathe flat out and
take just as heavy a cut as when the lathe was connected to real 3
phase.
Eric

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wayne Cook

On Thu, 01 Dec 2005 14:46:57 -0800, Grant Erwin
wrote:

jim rozen wrote:
In article , Grant Erwin says...

[...]

First things first is to see how well it starts on the 7.5hp idler.
If it starts fine then you'll be good for most of your work. Then if
for some reason you want to saw something heavy you can go turn your
lathe or whatever on and use it for the boost needed for the heavy
work.

I am considering adding some run caps to the idler booster unit, so when I
switch the unit off they will be out of the circuit. Only when the idler booster
is running would the extra run caps be apparent.

It's certainly the best way to do it but I wonder if it'll be
overkill here.

Wayne Cook
Shamrock, TX
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/waynecook/index.htm