Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

Default very confused-- Bleach vs. Mold

On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 21:31:26 -0800, "Bob"
wrote:

"mm" wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 17:18:29 -0800, "Bob"

wrote:

"mm" wrote in message
I don't see why bleach would kill mold, its not that

harsh of a chemical.
Alcohol is not that harsh either, but it kills germs.
Not nearly as well as bleach from what I've read.

That would just make stronger my point about bleach.
Although when the nurse gives me a shot, she's never wiped

my arm with
bleach.

And you are probably glad she didn't. It is pretty caustic,
and it stinks. Many people would have reactions to it I
would guess. When I donate blood, they use iodine. Every
such agent has its uses. Bleach just happens to be more
available, and cheaper than many others. Alcohol probably
does a sufficient job of cleaning injection sites. It
disolves oils well. It then evaporates quickly so it doesn't
enter your body.

A friend of mine some years ago was a med-tech. She told me
that her lab did their own tests of a number of "steralizing
agents", and she was surprised how poorly the alcohol did in
the tests.

I never claimed to know all the ins and outs of alcohol or bleach. I
raised alcohol because it's a not a harsh chemical and yet it is
strong enough to kill germs. Similarly, bleach is not disqualified
from being able to kill mold *just because* it is not harsh. Like you
just said, "Every such agent has its uses." Others have posted
convincingly that bleach *does* kill mold. So that's good enough for
me..

But since bleach has come up, I'll mention that I noticed that Clorox
Bleach as currently sold here, has no chloriine in it. I think it has
another halogen instead. I was surprised. Then I noticed that Clorox
is spelled without an H.

I though that maybe chlorine had been banned because of safety
reasons, but I checked other bleaches and at least one had chlorine in
it. So why is this?

I suspect I'm overly influenced into thinking chlorine is important
because of the common term "chlorine bleach", but why is there more
than one kind now and does either one have any advantages over
another?

Bob

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.