Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living
dadiOH

Default A paving adventure

wrote:
So, Mark of Mark's paving (with a cellphone number and no mailing
address) shows up at my neighbor's house. He's doing a small job in
the hood and may have leftover asphalt. His men and equipment have to
be there anyhow. Would she like him to pave her 500' driveway (which
already has a stone base)?

He says he can pave it for $10,000...

She asks "Can you just do the part near the road?"

"Well, the truck holds 10 or 12 tons, and your neighbor only needs 3
tons. I could pave 750 ft^2 with the extra asphalt, 3" deep, for
$750."

He says he will put this in writing before starting work. The next
day, 3 Mexicans are digging in the driveway. Where's the written
estimate?

"Oh, Mark's not here. You'll have to talk to heem about that."

Mark shows up, after I measure 75' back from the road and put a stake
in the ground.

"What's that for?"

"You said you would do 750 ft^2 for $750, 10'x75'."

"Um. Sure."

"Would you like me to put more stakes in the driveway, 3" above the
stone?"

"What for?"

"So you can gauge the depth."

"Nah. I don't need that. I've done paving all of my life. You gonna
give me a check when I'm done?"

"No. I don't have any of my neighbor's checks."

I note the 75'x10' area and 3" depth on his estimate and ask him to
initial the change.

He says "You know what? I'm not gonna do this job! Load up the
machines!"

And he and his Mexicans disappear.

Nick

I remember an owner of a Chinese restaurant in Honolulu. Bunch of guys
showed up, offered to paint his kitchen at a great price, he said to do
it.

They did. Basically, stuck a spray gun in the kitchen door and locked
down the trigger, painted everything...floor, walls, ceiling, counters,
crockery. Everything. With aluminum paint.

--
dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
Get it at