Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

Default A paving adventure

So, Mark of Mark's paving (with a cellphone number and no mailing address)
shows up at my neighbor's house. He's doing a small job in the hood and may
have leftover asphalt. His men and equipment have to be there anyhow. Would
she like him to pave her 500' driveway (which already has a stone base)?

He says he can pave it for $10,000...

She asks "Can you just do the part near the road?"

"Well, the truck holds 10 or 12 tons, and your neighbor only needs 3 tons.
I could pave 750 ft^2 with the extra asphalt, 3" deep, for $750."

He says he will put this in writing before starting work. The next day,
3 Mexicans are digging in the driveway. Where's the written estimate?

"Oh, Mark's not here. You'll have to talk to heem about that."

Mark shows up, after I measure 75' back from the road and put a stake
in the ground.

"What's that for?"

"You said you would do 750 ft^2 for $750, 10'x75'."

"Um. Sure."

"Would you like me to put more stakes in the driveway, 3" above the stone?"

"What for?"

"So you can gauge the depth."

"Nah. I don't need that. I've done paving all of my life. You gonna give
me a check when I'm done?"

"No. I don't have any of my neighbor's checks."

I note the 75'x10' area and 3" depth on his estimate and ask him to initial
the change.

He says "You know what? I'm not gonna do this job! Load up the machines!"

And he and his Mexicans disappear.

Nick

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living
louie

call the authorities for destruction of property. You have a name and
a cell phone #, let them track it down.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living
Rod Speed

wrote

So, Mark of Mark's paving (with a cellphone number and
no mailing address) shows up at my neighbor's house. He's
doing a small job in the hood and may have leftover asphalt.
His men and equipment have to be there anyhow. Would she like
him to pave her 500' driveway (which already has a stone base)?

Absolutely classic scam.

[...]

Did you get bobbitted by the neighbour ?

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living
Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message

He says "You know what? I'm not gonna do this job! Load up the machines!"

And he and his Mexicans disappear.

Oh, poor Mark is now stuck with all that leftover asphalt. I'll keep an eye
out for him and maybe he can do mine for only $700 now!

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living
JazzMan

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

wrote in message

He says "You know what? I'm not gonna do this job! Load up the machines!"

And he and his Mexicans disappear.

Oh, poor Mark is now stuck with all that leftover asphalt. I'll keep an eye
out for him and maybe he can do mine for only $700 now!

I picture a "driving dutchman" with his truck full of
congealed asphalt, driving around in purgatory looking
for a driveway to pave...

JazzMan
Please reply to jsavage"at"airmail.net.
Curse those darned bulk e-mailers!

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living
louie

Happened to read this today on a local news site:

"MANASSAS, Va. -- Homeowners in northern Virginia and Maryland have
been losing money to a driveway paving scam.
The FBI says over the last six months, more than 22 homeowners have
hired a group of men to conduct driveway repairs, but the work was
never finished even though the men were paid.

Agents say the men have Irish accents, and they use bogus business
cards. The FBI is asking anyone with information to give them a call at
the D.C. field office at 202-278-2000"

No mention of mexican workers, but sounds familiar anyway.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living
dadiOH

louie wrote:
Happened to read this today on a local news site:

"MANASSAS, Va. -- Homeowners in northern Virginia and Maryland have
been losing money to a driveway paving scam.
The FBI says over the last six months, more than 22 homeowners have
hired a group of men to conduct driveway repairs, but the work was
never finished even though the men were paid.

Agents say the men have Irish accents, and they use bogus business
cards. The FBI is asking anyone with information to give them a call
at the D.C. field office at 202-278-2000"

No mention of mexican workers, but sounds familiar anyway.

Ah, yes...the Irish GYPsies from North Carolina where they live in
mansions...

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living
dadiOH

wrote:
[...]

I remember an owner of a Chinese restaurant in Honolulu. Bunch of guys
showed up, offered to paint his kitchen at a great price, he said to do
it.

They did. Basically, stuck a spray gun in the kitchen door and locked
down the trigger, painted everything...floor, walls, ceiling, counters,
crockery. Everything. With aluminum paint.

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
Get it at
http://mysite.verizon.net/xico

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living
Stormin Mormon

A gypsy showed up at the rich house. Asking for work. The wealthy home owner
asked for a price on painting his porch out back. The paint already in the
garage. The proch is very extensive, and has a lot of decorations and such.
Would take a long time.

Gypsy came back forward and offered to do it for fifty bucks. Rich man says
to go ahead. The gypsy returned, and then came back out front. Collected his
fifty bucks. The owner asked how'd you get finished so fast. The gypsy
replied "well, that weren't no porch. That were a Jaguar."

--

Christopher A. Young
Do good work.

Paving advice Ian Hooksem UK diy 4 April 25th 05 01:30 PM
Paving - _not_ diy; what sort to get mike ring UK diy 10 March 19th 05 11:56 AM
Crazty paving and wall Brownie UK diy 5 March 13th 04 03:48 PM
Block paving Mark Webb UK diy 3 August 17th 03 02:00 PM
Paving Stone Joints chris French UK diy 0 July 14th 03 08:32 AM