Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Derek Andrews

Default Drying roughed bowls

Sniperborg wrote:
After a previous post about sealing the outside of my bowl with pva
glue ( no anchorseal in the uk ) i'm still getting about a quarter with
small to very bad splits.

Try Craft Supplies UK. I have an old catalog and they list end seal in
there.

I have roughed out the bowl leaving the wall between 1/2 to 1 inch
thick. Then painting the outside with pva glue and bring indoors to
dry.

Try for a more even wall thickness. I use endseal, inside and out, but
only in the areas where endgrain is exposed. 1/2 inch seems a bit thin.
Are you sure you will be able to turn a circle from it once it is dry?
You could also try leaving it in the workshop / garage / tool shed
rather than taking into the house.

Can any one tell me what i'm doing wrong or is 1 in 4 split rough bowls
to be expected

I have nearly 100% success with maple and yellow birch. OTOH some honey
locust treated in the same way split. Much depends on how wet the wood
was originally, and its physical characteristics such as shrinkage
factors and strength.

--
Derek Andrews, woodturner

http://www.seafoamwoodturning.com