Cordless Crazy Cordless Crazy is offline
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr2
We will shortly be converting the kitchen room and dining room into one room

requiring the removal of a load bearing single brick wall (3 Metres in length)

the load being joists ... (bedroom joists) that run at right angles across the

top of the brick wall ... obviously a lintel will be installed to support the

joists... OK so the required overlap of the lintel onto pads/base at each end

is I believe 150mm. the 150mm. at one end ...ie. the outside wall of the

house... won't be a problem the problem comes at the internal wall end

where there would only be a 100mm. overlap this is obviously because the

internal wall is only a single brick ... what would you say is the best way of

making up the extra base ?? could we just simply leave a stub wall of half

brick or full brick of the wall that we're taking out at the internal wall end to

form a T Shape (a stubby T shape) and thus comfortably make up the

required 150mm. ... or is there a better looking way / method. or will the

councils building inspector accept the short 100mm. base in the first case.

maybe not... any thoughts ?
So am I right in thinking you will be making a `T` shaped pad stone?

The leg underneath the UB will be 315mm? (215mm (one brick) + 100mm (the wall it is perpendicular to))

Make it 300mm wide across the back and at least 150mm (2 courses) deep and you will have no probs. Use a good strong mix concrete like C30 to construct the padstone then the spread of the load will be more than adequate. This is based on the fact that it is a small steel section in the first place spanning 3m, so the loading is not astronomical at each end. If the floor above is only typical joist and floor board construction with a relatively low live load then cool. If you have a water bed or similar heavy load directly above and adjacent to this area then you mak have problems justifying the forces