Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

Default very confused-- Bleach vs. Mold

On 01 Dec 2005 01:35:51 GMT, "badgolferman"
wrote:

Jack, 11/30/2005,4:58:09 PM, wrote:

I am planning an attic mold cleanup-- Conventional wisdom is to use
bleach and water, but when I google it... I get a lot of hits saying
that it is a myth that Bleach kills mold.

The EPA brochure does little to clear it up.

Anyone with any real-world experience or other good info.

I just returned from Mississippi where the houses are damaged by the
storm surge from Hurricane Katrina. What I saw down there was that the
walls and insulation had been removed to air out the studs. The
residents told me they spray bleach/water solution and wait 2-3 weeks
for the mold to die. The houses we worked on did not have mold in the
wall studs. I did see houses where mold was still visible but that was
because no work had been down yet to them.

And I have experience also with moss, on my fence. The picket fence
is 25 years old and some parts get very little sun. A lot of that
part has moss growing on the rails. I sprayed with the recommended
concentration of bleach, and it didn't do much. So I sprayed
strraight bleach, and it killed the moss. Bleached the wood too I
think -- something turned it white. I waited too long, and these
parts will have to be replaced, but I figure it bought me 2 to 4 extra
years.

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.