Posted to sci.electronics.repair
James Sweet

Default Custom Midway chips

russ lavergne wrote:
I have some arcade boards made by the bankrupt Bally/Midway company. There
are a number of custom chips that say MIDWAY on them. I am wondering if
these were completely made from the ground up specificly for these games or
if they are somewhat generic chips with the Midway printed on them. I would
think it would be easier to just buy someone elses chips but maybe someone
could shed some light on the process that goes into building these boards.
I know some of it is because of security but that is what the PAL chips are
for? Do they make their own chips so people won't be able to copy the whole
boards? because they don't have those MIDWAY chips? I don't think to many
people copy the whole boards, do they? I am hoping they are somewhat
generic so I can track down some place that has the same chip under a
different name.
Thanks for the thoughts

They're custom designed chips, you can get replacements here
http://www.arcadeshop.com/parts.htm#HSS

I don't know offhand if these are used pulls, or new replicas using
FPGA's but both are available.