Posted to rec.woodworking
Odinn

Default Cost of Wood and Charges per Board Foot

On 11/30/2005 6:25 PM Greg G. mumbled something about the following:
Greg G. said:

My supply of self-harvested wood doesn't include walnut or maple, and
the small sawmill I used to frequent has been abandoned and is
currently being turned into McMansion land So...

snip

What do _you_ pay locally for these examples of domestic hardwoods?

Thanks Guys, for the feedback.

Well, since there were so many responses to my question, I'm gonna
respond to them all right here.

I'm near Atlanta, GA. SE US. Although development has been rabid for
the last 30 years, the last five years have brought absolutely
horrific changes into my area - and not _one_ for the better. Most of
the indigenous population has fled - running, not walking.

Used to get poplar for ~$1.72, Cherry for ~$3.65 and clear Walnut for
~$4.60. No surcharges - us dumb rednecks wouldn't stand for that for
a second. We'd have that guy lynched and on a rail to NYC. g
Kiln Shrinkage - get fracking serious.

Reminds me of freaking New Jersey, where if you call from Mullica Hill
to Cherry Hill (less than 15 miles and in-state) for 55 minutes,
you'll get a bill for $250. And you don't have to dial one, either.
I can make a call to south Florida far cheaper...

Anyway, all the local mills have moved away, and the closest are now
in Augusta, Alabama and Tennessee. Subsequently, the prices have
apparently risen to whatever the market will bear - plus a bit more.

Which makes me even hotter when I see these damned carpetbagger home
builders come in and clear-cut the trees, scrape the topsoil away, bag
it all up and sell it back to the same idiots who bought their poorly
constructed homes. Just because they are _used_ to paying $400,000
for a 3BR house up North, these idiots have forced the prices here way
beyond reason. Needless to say, the poor dumbasses who sold the
property to the developers for pennies on the dollar are now appalled
at how poorly they negotiated their own deals. They probably could
have made more from selling the timber.

The distributor in question is not a Rockler or Woodcraft, but a
larger, multi-state hardwood dealer who sells to commercial interests.
And yet, I see similar prices AT Rockler - sometimes even less...

And while wood is definitely far cheaper here than in Clownifornia, I
live in the middle of a freaking hardwood forest - thousands of acres
of it - at least where the clear-cutters haven't gotten to yet....

As for the shop that sells walnut for $11 and soft maple for $13.30,
I'm with Dave on this on. Cripes, let me know what state you're in so
I can black it out on my map - I _sure_ don't want to move there!

Canada is looking pretty good right now... As is western PA.

I DO know that the next time I see a tree laying in the woods, fallen
from a storm, I'm going to cut that *ucker up and haul it home!
After I cut down all the trees in our yard, of course. g

FWIW,

Greg G.

Greg,
What area of Atlanta? I'm about 40 mile ENE towards Athens and I
haven't seen those prices anywhere near here.

--
Odinn
RCOS #7 SENS BS ???

"The more I study religions the more I am convinced that man never
worshiped anything but himself." -- Sir Richard Francis Burton

Reeky's unofficial homepage ... http://www.reeky.org
'03 FLHTI ........... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/ElectraGlide
'97 VN1500D ......... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/VulcanClassic
Atlanta Biker Net ... http://www.atlantabiker.net