Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Harold and Susan Vordos

Default Harold...DON'T LOOK was Al's Back - Do I win again?

"Brian Lawson" wrote in message
On 29 Nov 2005 19:56:42 -0800, wrote:

Take a look at eBay seller -going12345sold. 65 machine shop items
for sale, 0 feedback, all "Buy it Now" and freshly painted in gray and
black. Seller is in CT. How could it be anyone else? Leigh at

MarMachine

Oh, my god, poor Harold!! DON'T LOOK!! At least not after you've
eaten, or please bring a barf bag!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/16-x-32-GEAR-HEA...H_W0QQitemZ756
7979515QQcategoryZ104241QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Take care.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.

Chuckle! It would appear my reputation for rust loving is becoming all

too
well known!

Truth be known, I don't think that machine is rusted. I've taken quite a
few pics with digital cameras that show surfaces lightly rusted that

aren't.
If you'll look closely, you'll notice the surfaces are quite uniform in
texture----likely just the way the pic turns out, and not rusted at all.
No, I'm not willing to bet my SS check on my opinion. g

My Graziano is virtually barren of paint around the headstock. The

paint
they used doesn't stand up to chemical coolants. Mine used to wash off on

daily basis, and didn't take long to get down to iron. It doesn't look

as
nice as it did when it was new, but I know the machine is sound, and don't
worry about appearances. My machines were intended to be run for gain,

and
they were. The time it takes to keep them looking like new is poorly
wasted when you're running behind on deliveries, so they rarely got
polishing. Wiped and oiled regularly, where it really matters.

Harold

I'd like to reconsider my position of rust on that machine. Yeah, it does
have some, but maybe not as badly as it looks. (Any at all is too much).
Handle on the quill lock, tailstock, is a good example. Definitely rusted.
The rest may have been cleaned to some degree. It's hard to say.

One other thing. That isn't a 16" machine. They made a 14" and a 17",
neither of which have the magnetic clutches. Each is a geared head machine,
with the gear assemblies in the headstock. The machine pictured is a Sag
12, a 12" machine, with the transmission located in the base of the machine.
Headstock has the high/low range gearing, and is driven by three belts from
the transmission. The natural gap created by the lowered carriage ways and
the termination of the tailstock ways creates the ability to swing a short
length, large diameter. With the way covers removed, it will swing 17-1/2".
The handle on the right side of the carriage is the gear selector and
forward/reverse selector. Twisting changes speeds, raising starts the
machine forward, and lowering reverses rotation. It can be done on the fly.

Harold