Posted to alt.home.repair
Toller

Default Water heater wiring for generator hookup and to 120 VAC power?

A generator sits at window level with ther exhasust extended though a
'dryer vent' type arrangement and is available for emergency power
within a few minutes.

I've been tempted to do that. I just leave it in my garage with a front and
rear door open a foot. Yes, I know how dangerous it is, but it doesn't seem
to bother the CO detector.

The generator frame is grounded to the outside ground in the earth.

Is your generator ground connected to the frame? If so, you don't want to
ground the frame again. And if it isn't there is no particular reason to
gound the frame.

I was thinking of using a 20 foot 3 wire cable to the dryer receptacle
like we did during Hurricane Jeanne but I considered the following:

MAIN DISCONNECT IS OFF!! it is off, it is OFF!!!! (no way is it ON!)

One hot wire going from the panel to the water heater goes to the
Any negative consequences to the above wiring idea?

Well, it appears (as well as I could understand it) to be okay, aside from
being illegal and dangerous, but why do something so complicated? What are
you trying to accomplish?