Posted to rec.woodworking
Todd Fatheree

Default Splitting Granite

"John McCoy" wrote in message
0...
"Todd Fatheree" wrote in
:

When they
did it on TOH, the pro used a pneumatic drill with a special bit that
had a hole in it that compressed air blew into.

Note that this is an excellent way to give yourself a bad case of
permanent lung damage. If you use such a drill, be sure to wear
suitable protective gear.

Serious professional drills pump water down the bore, not compressed
air, an innovation the mining industry adopted after killing off the
first generation of pneumatic drill users.

John

Well, I'm not sure this is a serious professional type of job. And somehow,
I doubt a one-time use is likely to cause "permanent lung damage". And I'm
pretty sure this granite outcropping is outdoors, so I think my anxiety
level would be fairly low. If I were doing it, I'd probably still wear a
mask, but I don't think I'd inflate the risk to the level of someone
spending 8 - 10 hours a day in a hole.

todd