Posted to rec.woodworking
SonomaProducts.com

Default Cost of Wood and Charges per Board Foot

This sounds like retail pricing to me, although it ain't bad for
retail. I'm not too familiar with Walnut pricing but Soft Maple is
often on sale for less than $3 a foot in S2S around here in CA and I
pay less than $4 for hard maple. 4/4 Cherry fluxuates from $5-$7 in
S2S. I alwasy get charged for the straight edging but it's just bundled
into the bf price at like 10 or 15 cents a foot, can't recall exactly.
They always round up the bf but around here shrinkage is left as a
personal issue.

So is this local harwood distrubuter a retail establishment or do they
server the cabinet trade? I'd try to find out who the cabinet makers
are buying from and get your stock from them. You can't always select
your stock but if they have a Will Call you can typically buy pretty
small quantities and avoid any deliver charge. All the guys around here
have no minimum and will sell to anyone at good prices.