Posted to alt.home.repair
Terry

Default Wiring in a closet

"Toller" wrote in message

I have finished my basement, but have to put in the plug myself. Don't
feel like getting a permit just for one outlet.

You realize that basement outlets have to be GFCI protected, and they have
to be space every 6' (or something like that, I would have to look it up).
The town will not care about the outlet, but they will get ****ed if they
find out about finishing the basement without a permit.

So I have to install a double wallbox for 4 outlets. since my stereo will
use at least that many and I dont want those plug extenders to much.

The question is, since this is in a small closet that was created for
this purpose, and the closet is not really big enough to enter or use, do
I have to put the wiring inside of a pipe, or can I leave it exposed?

Its in a corner, where the back walls are cement, and the front walls are
drywall with metal framing. There is a standard door, and a big glass
door for stereo access. I am going to put a light switch on the drywall
already for a light that is just outside the closet in the ceiling. So
the wiring is already exposed by the light switch. Just wondering if the
outlet box I screw into the wall can have wiring going do it like the
light switch, or if I should put it into a pipe somehow!?

Of course without the pipe I am not sure how to screw the wiring in place
against the cement wall...

The wiring is 12Ga/20A (yellow).

The spirit of the code is that the wiring has to be protected from any
possible damage. So if absolutely nothing can knock into it or snag it,
then it probably is not a problem; even if it techically doesn't meet
code. It would be best if you could bring it straight down the corner,
since it is reasonably protected there. In general running wire in the
corner between the wall and ceiling is considered safe, so the idea would
be the same.

Why can't you bring it down the sidewall though?

CL Gilbert

"Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that entereth not by the door() into
the sheepfold{}, but climbeth up some other *way, the same is a thief and
a robber."

GnuPG Key Fingerprint:
82A6 8893 C2A1 F64E A9AD 19AE 55B2 4CD7 80D2 0A2D

Suggest you could slide it through a length of flexible metal armoured
cover. The armour would not act as a conductor merely as mechanical
protection?
The need for a permit for finishing, oneself, an internal area of one's
house (typically as a basement recreation or 'rumpus' room NOT to be used as
sleeping/living accommodation) depends on local jurisdictional rules!
In some parts of the world you can't even paint or repair a door, without a
permit!
In others such as here, as long as I do not change the basic use of the
house, (for example building several sleeping partitions and putting in a
bathroom in order to accommodate live-in students would not be permissible)
while finishing off my basement as a billiard/snooker or table tennis or bar
area would be OK!