Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

Default A paving adventure

So, Mark of Mark's paving (with a cellphone number and no mailing address)
shows up at my neighbor's house. He's doing a small job in the hood and may
have leftover asphalt. His men and equipment have to be there anyhow. Would
she like him to pave her 500' driveway (which already has a stone base)?

He says he can pave it for $10,000...

She asks "Can you just do the part near the road?"

"Well, the truck holds 10 or 12 tons, and your neighbor only needs 3 tons.
I could pave 750 ft^2 with the extra asphalt, 3" deep, for $750."

He says he will put this in writing before starting work. The next day,
3 Mexicans are digging in the driveway. Where's the written estimate?

"Oh, Mark's not here. You'll have to talk to heem about that."

Mark shows up, after I measure 75' back from the road and put a stake
in the ground.

"What's that for?"

"You said you would do 750 ft^2 for $750, 10'x75'."

"Um. Sure."

"Would you like me to put more stakes in the driveway, 3" above the stone?"

"What for?"

"So you can gauge the depth."

"Nah. I don't need that. I've done paving all of my life. You gonna give
me a check when I'm done?"

"No. I don't have any of my neighbor's checks."

I note the 75'x10' area and 3" depth on his estimate and ask him to initial
the change.

He says "You know what? I'm not gonna do this job! Load up the machines!"

And he and his Mexicans disappear.

Nick