Posted to rec.woodworking
Charlie Self

Default Cost of Wood and Charges per Board Foot

wrote:
I'm just getting into woodworking, but as it happens, I called a place
in Memphis today to inquire about wood prices. I'm not sure about some
of the terms you guys are using to describe the wood size (or
quality?), but I can get 13/16" cherry in random widths with one
straight side in lengths of 10-12 feet for $3/bd ft. They have birch
for something like $2.65/bd ft.

They also had other hardwoods, but I didn't inquire about the prices.
How does that compare to the discussion?

What you got was fairly common in the SE, at least as far as pricing
goes, maybe a bit on the low side. Compared to what the others are
paying, you're in fat city. There are a lot of great features about
this area (though Memphis is a ways from here), and the sizable
hardwood forests are one major feature for woodworkers. That is also
one of the reasons much furniture making is centered around northern NC
and into South central VA.

Unfortunately, wood is neither as cheap nor as accessible around here
as it was just five years ago, but it still far cheaper than places
like Mesa where a lot of transport, and a couple extra levels of
handling, are needed.