Posted to rec.woodworking
nospambob

Default Newbie questions about tung oil, wood dye, etc.

Several posts have cautioned about the tack cloth useage as it COULD
contaminate the surface interfering with finish adherence. Shellac,
dewaxed, beyond shelf life has been suggested instead of off the shelf
tack cloth. Lint less cloth dipped in old shellac stored in zip lock
bag.

On 29 Nov 2005 19:10:04 -0800, wrote:

From some of my reading on here I suspect the Formby's and Minwax "tung

oil" aren't 100% tung oil -- nothing wrong with that but I want to go
with 100% tung oil.

Okay, I purchased a random orbit sander and went over one side of one
shelf with 60 grit followed by 100 and then 120 grit. This is already
about as smooth as the other side of the shelf -- making me think that
the room was originally sanded only to 150 grit. I've purchased 60,
100, 150, 240, 320, and 400 grit (and the sander came with one sheet of
120 grit). It will be interesting to see/feel the difference between
the current finish and the 400 grit finish.

My next question, I'm getting lots of very fine dust in/on the wood.
Is it okay to use water to get this off (after vacuuming) or do I use
paint thinner as someone suggested? Is a tack cloth (which I'll buy
tomorrow and have never seen) used last, or before the liquid?