Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John Husvar

Default Cheap Chinese Mill-drill

In article ,
wrote:

On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 15:47:32 GMT, John Husvar
wrote:

The chuck will hold an end mill well enough for cutting slots, but the damn
chuck won't stay on the drawbar. I've tried cleaning the drawbar taper
up, marking it with magic marker each trial. The mating surfaces now
appear to be touching each other correctly, but the damn chuck still
won't stay on anyway.

Did it come with a drawbar which locks the chuck to the spindle ?

It looks like a long bolt which goes through the spindle and screws
into a thread on the taper. Pulls the chuck tight so it cannot drop
out.

No, which facilitated My Mistake #1. (#1 -- One shouldn't even _try_ to
use an endmill in a drill chuck.)

I expect the My Mistake number to rise significantly in the next few
weeks. I think I'll buy the book one poster suggested to perhaps limit
the rise, but who knows what evil I can manage? Not even The Shadow.

It was just a taper connection to an R-8 insert; no drawbar to the chuck
itself, just to the holder.