Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Greg G.

Default DIY - Small Segment Jig

Kevin Miller said:

Greg G. wrote:
The cut segment is retained by the hold-down clamp.
Without it, what you envision would most certainly occur.
snip

Ah - went right by me that the hold down was on the segment, not the
stop. Looking again I see that's the case so it makes sense now.

If the stop angle was rotated the other way it would still work, but the
segment wouldn't be trapped between the saw blade and the stop - it
would float free after cutting, but that's assuming that it isn't held
down. Now, knowing that it is, I think the way you have it is probably
optimal. Thanks again for posting...

Another option, and one that would be required for cutting _very_
small slices, would be to use a two piece stop. Place the regular jig
stop, and a 2" auxiliary stop into the desired position. Then
position the target wood, remove the secondary stop, and cut. The
small piece would _usually_ fall away from the blade, but it still
might get kicked-out or nicked by the blade on occasion.

FWIW,

Greg G.