Posted to rec.woodworking
David

Default Upset with Porter Cable/Delta !!

wayne mak wrote:

I have 2 older delta 14" bandsaws that are very good. Can't speak for the
newer ones. Having a Hi/Low transmission in great if you do metal work. I
have a VERY old delta drill press with an extra bearing over the spindle
pulley that is a tank compared to the stuff sold now.
"David" wrote in message

evodawg wrote:

I went to my local Porter Cable/Delta parts and recondition outlet in
Southern California and the name has been changed to Black & Decker. I
was
****ED!!!!!!!! I was looking for a reconditioned circular saw, my old 25
year old Craftsman finally took a **** and I needed to replace it. For
the
last 10 years I have only bought Porter Cable, Milwaukee, Bosch and
Delta.
I went in and all I saw basically was orange and black, I got sick to my
stomach. I asked the customer service guy what happened. He didn't look
happy and
said that B&D had taken them over. My next question was how long will it
take B&D to implement it's cheap ass engineering into Porter Cable and
Delta? He had that stupid look on his face. I told him, "guess you're
forcing me to buy Milwaukee and Bosch". He did say that I wasn't the only
customer that had the same reaction.

The worst power tool builder now makes one of the best power tools. How
long
will it take for Delta/Porter Cable to become second to the worst?

I'm so ****ed off
Rich

I've considered Delta to be a brand I buy only when there's no good
alternative. I love my Unisaw of a few years ago, and my DP is ok, but
their bandsaws suck big time in my opinion, and I've had lousy luck with
their technical assistance. I'm not too crazy with my 2 Delta belt
sanders. I bought them more for the price than quality. All my Porter
Cable stuff has been rock solid with the exception of a few times where my
7518 would run at random speeds when set to the lowest RPM setting.

So I don't know why you are upset because of B&D's involvement. Can Delta
really get much worse? Porter Cable brand is the one I'd worry
about...

Dave

Even the model that came out immediately before the 3450 RPM (the 1.5
HP) motor model was nicer. It lacked a few features of the later model,
but at least the earlier model ran more quietly and smoothly. I had
both models for a brief time. The 1 HP model (the model before they
upped the HP to 1.5) was pretty decent. I wouldn't have kept the 1.5
version in my shop if it were free. Seriously.

dave