Posted to alt.home.repair
DesignGuy

Default Gas logs for f/p - vented or not?

I've got a 12x20 foot family room that already has gas logs in the
fireplace. The fireplace is suburbia standard-issue... flush with the
chimney brick and glass doors.

A few years ago we had an ice storm that knocked out power for almost there
days. Despite having the fireplace going all that time, the temperature in
the room never got above 55 deg. The fireplace damper was open, since the
logs came with the house and I'm not sure if they are the vented kind or
not.

I'd like to get a set of gas logs that will both look nice and actually put
out usable heat. My question is which type -- I'm leaning towards veneted,
but want to get a set that will not send most of the heat up the chimney.
I've read where there is a partially-vented type. Has anyone had any
experience with those?

Also, any brands to recommend?