Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Yanik

Default Metal Halide Arc bulbs for home? Crazy?

Ignoramus20878 wrote in
:

On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 02:27:51 +0000 (UTC), Don Klipstein
wrote:
In article , Ignoramus4324
wrote:

The questions are, essentially, are they suitable for garage
lighting. Do they emit harmful UV and is their light pleasant for
eyes.

I like them.

UV content is less than that in a similar amount of daylight. Just
don't use them if the outer bulb gets broken - the bulb blocks nasty
shortwave UV and UVB that the arc makes a little bit of.

Use in suitable fully enclosed fixtures rated for use with these
bulbs,
unless the bulb package says that the bulb is suitable for use in
open fixtures. Every few blue moons somewhere a metal halide bulb
that is not of the "protected" type (suitable for use in open
fixtures) explodes.

Thanks. I am very interested in this. I am very tired of working under
less that ideal lighting. Would you say that a 400W bulb provides
"ample" light for a garage? (say 20 x17 feet, drywall) Or would you
say that going higher may be warranted?

A single bulb (point source) is going to create a lot of shadows.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik