Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John Husvar

Default Cheap Chinese Mill-drill

In article ,
steamer wrote:

--Do yourself a favor and fire your boss.. ;-)

Tempting sometimes!

Seriously, we could afford a bigger, better mill, but it'd be such
overkill for what we do that it wouldn't make sense. About the most
we'll ever do with this thing is make or lengthen slots in wheelchair
adaptive equipment. Rarely, we might mill a piece to fit it into a tight
spot.

I'll probably work it harder making some tee-nuts and clamping pieces
than I ever will actually making or modifying parts. Heck, A drill press
vise is most likely the biggest thing we'll ever need for it. That or a
small proper milling vise will hold anything we're likely to put on it.

I managed to get a little job done yesterday doing everything wrong and
holding the workpieces in our drill press vise, which I clamped to the
mill's table with 3/8 hex head bolts and washers. Nothing got away
(except the chuck itself because I was too dumb to remember you can't
hold endmills in drill chucks) and the cuts did get made.

One of these days I might even get to having some vague idea what I'm
doing.

One thing for sure, I'll add one more skill to my repertoire soon as I
do get that vague idea. And I like that.