Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner Asch

Default Making a shaft with a collar... question

On 28 Nov 2005 22:52:09 -0800, "Loren"
wrote:

A decent print I could do! Hell, I'll give it to you in Solidworks if
you desire. I appreciate the offer Gunner, thank you. How would you
feel about a short section of NF thread at the ends, stepped down to
whatever dia.. 3/4" 7/8" or 1".. would be fine. And of course two
keyways to complicate things. oh yeah, all this times 3. sigh...
yeah.. it's for a powered tubing roller and these are for the drive
shafts.

Send it in any common format. Shrug..Ive got most of the tools to
decode it.

I'll go ahead with a test piece I think and by this weekend my choices
will be more clear.

Has anyone had success with a shaft weldment as an alternative to
machining from stock?

Thanks guys.
- Loren

Ive welded shafts up to length before..motor shafts up to
drivelines..and never did get them truely square, even when fixturing
in V blocks. I always got some warpage at the weldment that required
either bending/straightening to get it to run moderately true. Which
means it really depends on what speed you are going to turn it.

Ive got the HLV-H, so can do about 9x16 or so between centers. The
15x52 Clausing spit out an $80 drive belt..so its down at the moment,
until I can figure out how so scrounge up a cheap/free one.

Id be happy to do your project for you. I enjoy doing projects.

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner