Posted to alt.home.repair
Joshua Putnam

Default Metal Halide Arc bulbs for home? Crazy?

In article ,
says...

They need a ballast (big transformer), and a capacitor. They take
thousands of volts to ignite, and thus require special HV socket and
wiring from ballast to socket. The ballast will require cooling (fan of)
it's own.

My 400W MH fixtures don't have fans for cooling, just the back of the
ballast exposed to air. A lot of warehouse and parking-lot lights
use 400W MH without cooling fans.

A good fixture will include tempered glass that absorbs UV, I never
had a problem with fading with my MH living room light, and my
photographic light meter indicated less UV than daylight of the same
intensity. (That's still more UV than you'd get from a fluorescent,
but not a dangerous level.)

--
is Joshua Putnam
http://www.phred.org/~josh/