Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Klipstein

Default Metal Halide Arc bulbs for home? Crazy?

In article , Goedjn wrote:

I already installed four 4' 2 bulb fixtures (total of 8 fluorescent
bulbs) and the result leaves some room for improvement. It is just not
bright enough.

I suppose I could install, say, 2 more 8 foot fixtures for the total
of four 8 ft bulbs. There are some high efficiency ones, the last time
I checked, HD was out of them.

Try swapping for full-spectrum bulbs in the florescents, and/or
moving them farther apart.

I would avoid those, since they produce less light. Typically about 1/3
less.

If you are getting new fixtures, then I recommend 4-footers with
electronic ballasts and taking F32T8 "lamps" (bulbs). And get bulbs of
color code 830, 835, 841 or 850 (or GE ones SPX30, SPX35, SPX41, SPX50).
The 8 or SPX means color rendering index in the low, maybe mid 80's as
well as - unlike most other fluorescent lamps - their color distortions
mostly in the direction of making colors brighter and more vivid. Also,
these have full light output.

If you want daylight-like color close to that of noontime tropical
sunlight, then get 850 or GE's SPX50. Just be sure to have enough
fixtures to get things nice and bright - otherwise this icy cold pure
white can cause a "dreary gray" effect.

The 2-digit part of the color code is an abbreviated nominal color
temperature in Kelvin.

30 - "warm white"
35 - what I call "semi warm white"
41 - "cool white" (but with better color rendering than actual "cool
white")
50 - icy cold pure white, sometimes looks very slightly bluish

As for the "7" and GE SP as opposed to 8 or SPX: The 7 and SP are a
lower grade with a slightly different spectrum and color rendering index
in the upper 70's, and their color distortions are not as flattering as
those of "8" and "SPX".
Home centers normally have the 7-color grade ones. I would go to an
electric/lighting supply shop or an online seller for 8-color-grade ones.

If you already have fixtures taht take T12 40 watt bulbs, then get
Philips Ultralume bulbs of the color temperature that you want. They are
also "better triphosphor" with color rendering index in the low 80's and
color distortions mostly in flattering directions.

- Don Klipstein )